Laboratory Technician - 3D Printing Research
Job Field: REDE - Research & Development
Location: Wyandotte, MI, US
Company: BASF Corporation
Job Type: Standard
Job ID: EN_US_1704117
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation. We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development. We are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America’s Best Employers in 2016. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future! Where the Chemistry Happens… Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You… Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You @BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry. The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career. Ingredients for Success: What We Look For in You… BASF is a technology-driven, global company dedicated to identifying future growth fields and trends and making products to solve the needs of our customers. The Structural Materials & Systems Research division provides innovative solutions for several industries and applications, including aerospace, transportation, structural composites, coatings, and adhesives. Knowledge of chemistry, chemical engineering, and materials science concepts play key roles in exploring novel approaches to create chemistry for our customers. With this position, we are strengthening our team in order to increase efficiency and productivity. Laboratory Technician, 3D Printing Research We are looking to expand our high-performance 3D Printing Team. We operate in a fast-paced environment, where daily prioritization and quick learning are keys to success. Our team strives to innovate; our entrepreneurial approach and can-do attitude drive the development and commercialization of high performance products. Our successful candidates will:
- Work with Product Development and Research Scientists to optimize formulations and test materials. Conduct polymer synthesis to develop new products for 3D Printing applications. Carry out instrumental test methods (such as centrifuge, mixers, rheometer, chemical balance scales, 3D printers, and other equipment) for performance characterization. Develop the necessary knowledge of the equipment and procedures to provide expertise to internal and external customers.
- Complete laboratory projects to support Research & Development. Carrying out laboratory work independently for application testing of research samples in experimental formulations. Generate and collect application data and results from laboratory evaluations using a variety of computer software systems. Compile and interpret data and issue reports as required.
- Adhere to company procedures and work instructions and industrial standards regarding sampling and testing techniques and proper handling and preparation of samples in support of company’s environmental objectives. Write and revise Standard Operating Procedures (SOP); maintain and constantly improve testing procedures.
- Operate 3D printing machines, furnaces. Perform maintenance and calibration activities required to maintain quality compliance. Troubleshoot equipment and experiments.
- Generate ideas that improve the safety, efficiency and overall effectiveness of the laboratory and its team. Proactively establish and maintain a safe and healthy work environment and comply with company policies and procedures.
- The Laboratory Technician will work with minimal supervision and deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations while performing tasks which may require multiple steps
Work environment physical demands
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to chemicals, analytical equipment and 3D printing machines.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and outside weather conditions.
- The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- The use of personal protection equipment is required including, safety glasses, safety shoes, gloves and respirator (when required).
- Laboratory Technician’s will work occasional required overtime
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
- High School Diploma
- 2 years of experience in a laboratory setting
- 2 years of experience operating laboratory equipment
- Proficiency with MS Word and MS Excel.
- Associate’s Degree
- Bachelor's Degree in Chemistry or Engineering
- Experience working with polymer chemistry testing and/or research
- Statistical analysis or and Computer Assisted Design (CAD) is a plus.
- Demonstrated enhanced trouble shooting skills
- Experience with chemical and mechanical performance testing, materials development
- Proficiency with MS Powerpoint
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. BASF recognizes institutions of higher education accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent.
Nearest Major Market: Detroit
Job Segment: Compliance, Legal