Sr. Fermentation Scientist II - San Diego, CA
Job Field: REDE - Research & Development
Location: San Diego, CA, US
Company: BASF Corporation
Job Type: Standard
Job ID: EN_US_1704482
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America’s Best Employers in 2016. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens…
BASF Enzymes LLC in San Diego, CA is seeking a hardworking, technically proficient, and enthusiastic Bioprocess Development Fermentation Scientist II to lead the development of industrial enzyme fermentation processes from laboratory scale to commercial scale (50,000L plus).
Senior Fermentation Scientist II – San Diego (1702231) – San Diego, CA
You will lead a team of fermentation scientists within a dynamic, cross-functional team to design scalable fermentation processes, transfer processes to Pilot Plant and commercial scale, and employ continuous improvement strategies to enhance productivity, reduce cost of goods, and troubleshoot manufacturing issues as they arise. This position offers the opportunity to work in a global multidisciplinary team within a challenging and dynamic environment.
Formula for Success: You Will…
- Accept personal responsibility to act in compliance with process safety regulations and company directives, and actively participate in continuous improvement processes.
- Develop aerobic fermentation processes for recombinant enzymes, expressed in bacterial, yeast and fungal hosts, in collaboration with downstream processing subject matter experts, to maximize enzyme yields and reduce cost of goods.
- Develop procedures (SOPs) and supervise microbial fermentations for producing enzymes in support of regulatory submissions at pilot scale (EPA, FDA, food cGMPs).
- Lead the fermentation process development, scale-up and process transfer to tollers and commercial manufacturing partners.
- Develop and refine scaledown models to strengthen commercial scale predictability at lab and pilot scales.
- Provide troubleshooting support for commercial manufacturing operations, and performing continuous improvement studies for existing commercial processes.
- Work within multidisciplinary project teams which include EH&S, Research, Quality, Regulatory, Engineering, and Manufacturing teams to design and execute fermentation optimization campaigns, interpreting data, and working with other team members to integrate results into process designs and overall project plans.
- Provide significant contributions to the BASF Enzymes Pilot Plant operation and development efforts with respect to training and data archival, management, and presentation.
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You…
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
Ingredients for Success: What We Look for in You…
· Ph.D. in chemical/biochemical engineering or another related technical discipline with a minimum of 5 years of relevant industrial experience; OR Master’s degree in chemical/biochemical engineering or another related technical discipline with a minimum of 8 years of relevant industrial experience; OR a Bachelor’s degree in chemical/biochemical engineering or another related technical discipline with a minimum of 10 years of relevant industrial experience.
· Background in industrial fermentation scale-up, scale down required
· Process modeling with internal and external partners preferred.
· Strong technical proficiency and direct hands-on experience with pilot and/or commercial scale fermentation processes required.
· Direct involvement with industrial enzymes fermentation development is preferred.
· Understanding of protein biochemistry, microbiology and recombinant protein expression in microbial hosts preferred
· Basic understanding of process design within regulatory guidelines (e.g. food/feed cGMPs) preferred.
· Working knowledge and experience in downstream processing unit operations such as continuous centrifugation, tangential flow filtration, and normal flow filtration is preferred.
Nearest Major Market: San Diego
Job Segment: Law, Compliance, Legal