Process Development Associate II - 2nd shift (San Diego, CA)
Job Field: REDE - Research & Development
Location: San Diego, CA, US
Company: BASF Corporation
Job Type: Standard
Job ID: EN_US_1704056
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment with a strong emphasis on process safety, as well as the safety of our employees and the communities we operate in, and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America’s Best Employers in 2016. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens…
We are seeking a second shift Process Development Associate II for our BioProcess Development team in our state-of-the-art Pilot Plant. As the Process Development Associate, you will carry out fermentation and/or recovery experiments, record process data, and assist in equipment/process setup. You will lead troubleshooting activities within the pilot plant. Initial startup calling for a 5/24 schedule (including holidays and possible weekend work) with the plans to transition to 7/24 (including holidays).
Formula for Success: You Will…
- Focus on in situ sterilization, operation, and cleaning (CIP - Clean in Place) of fixed vessel systems (40L and 500L vessels).
- Perform data analysis and presenting results on experiments.
- Ensure compliance with cGMP policies and procedures.
- Author, review, revise and execute Standard Operating Procedures.
- Train other associates on a 1:1 basis or group setting.
- Frequently use aseptic technique in laboratory operations.
- Prepare various types of media, solutions, and buffers that are prepared according to Standard Operating Procedures.
- Keep equipment and laboratory clean and organized, and communicate any maintenance issues.
- Collaborate with BioProcess Development team members on development and optimization of fermentation (40L and 500L vessels) and downstream processes (tangential flow filtration, membrane separation, dead end filtration and semi-continuous centrifugation).
- Maintain 100% compliance with EH&S policies and procedures.
- Maintain chemical inventory and manage procurement of new components and raw materials.
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You…
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
Ingredients for Success: What We Look for in You…
- BS degree in science or engineering with 2+ years of experience with manufacturing and/or pilot plant scale environment.
- Experience working with fermentation and/or cell culture and recovery processing equipment preferred.
- Hands on experience with general lab techniques, including, but not limited to pH meters, spectrophotometers, metabolyte analyzers (such as YSI), Biosafety Cabinet/Laminar flow hoods, shakers, balances/scales, autoclave, and mixers.
- Experience with operating, programming and troubleshooting DeltaV control software and familiarity with Programmable Logic Controls (PLC) systems preferred.
- Willingness and ability to work second shift (1:00 PM - 11:00 PM), including weekends and/or holidays.
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary and fast-paced environment, both independently and in a team setting.
- Highly motivated and enthusiastic team player with excellent attention to detail and good time management skills.
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written.
Nearest Major Market: San Diego
Job Segment: Compliance, Legal
Join our Talent Community
See the latest jobs, news and events by joining our talent community: