Bioprocess Development Team Leader- 3rd shift, San Diego
Job Field: REDE - Research & Development
Location: San Diego, CA, US
Company: BASF Corporation
Job Type: Standard
Job ID: EN_US_1702754
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment with a strong emphasis on process safety, as well as the safety of our employees and the communities we operate in, and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America’s Best Employers in 2016. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens…
The Bioprocess Development (BPD) Team Leader will be responsible for developing, planning, and executing fermentation and recovery schemes, and assisting in the technology transfer to commercial scale. As part of this responsibility, the Team Leader will supervise up to four Process Development Associates and provide technical leadership as part of a cross-functional team which includes EH&S, Research, Regulatory, Quality, Engineering, and Manufacturing teams. The shift team leader will be the voice and champion of industrial enzyme bioprocess execution during off-shift operations in the pilot plant; they will be instrumental in sharing the goals and intended purpose of experiments to the Process Development Associates. This position is currently hiring for third shift within the BASF Enzymes Pilot Plant; as the site transitions to 24/7 operations, shift hours might change to meet the business need.
Bioprocess Development Team Leader (3rd Shift) (1702510) – San Diego, CA
Formula for Success: You Will…
- Maintain 100% compliance with and demonstrated leadership of EH&S policies and procedures.
- Supervise Process Development Associates including training, coaching, and developing a high-performance team.
- Provide hands-on development and optimization of fermentation and downstream processes using 40L and 500L fermenters and membrane separations, filtration, and centrifugation.
- Perform planning, executing, analysis, and documentation of process experiments.
- Collaborate with fermentation and formulation scientists and R&D researchers to troubleshoot, problem-solve, and participate in cross-functional projects.
- Work independently and display solid judgement to make decisions with minimal on-site assistance.
- Prepare and present technical reports, data summaries, protocols, and other technical and regulatory documentation.
- Prepare operational SOPs and train team members on them.
- Promote, contribute, and reinforce the Pilot Plant, Bioprocess Development, and Company policies and operating principles.
Leadership Core Responsibilities
- Coach and develop team members to reach their full potential
- Support development assignments and movement of talent across units
- Motivate and challenge to drive high performance
- Commit to "hiring the best" internally and externally
- Create an inclusive environment which embraces and derives value from diversity
- Execute performance and career development discussions
- Role model and enable development of competencies in others needed to implement BASF's strategy
- Establish and support a safety culture in which all accidents are preventable
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You…
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
Ingredients for Success: What We Look for in You…
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering, or related discipline, or at least 10 years of equivalent industry experience.
- A minimum of 4 years of laboratory research experience in microbial fermentation and/or downstream processing in a manufacturing environment required.
- Previous work in industrial enzyme bioprocess development or manufacturing is a plus.
- Prior experience supervising and managing others strongly preferred.
- Leadership, training, organizational, and documentation skills (e.g., SOP's, batch records, training documentation) strongly preferred
- Familiarity with cGMPs and 24hr shift schedules is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience working in a multidisciplinary and fast-paced environment, both independently and in a team setting.
- Excellent attention to detail and organization and time management skills.
- Highly self-motivated and enjoy working in a team-oriented environment.
Leadership Expectations: As a leader at BASF, you will play a key role in creating value for the company through people. Our top candidate will be expected to enable greater personal success among our employees through quality people development, coaching, and performance management. Leaders at BASF are role models to help employees develop the competencies needed to implement BASF's strategy. Our expectation is that leaders will coach and develop team members to reach their full potential, and support relevant development assignments, opportunities and moves while motivating and challenging employees to drive high performance. Our leaders must be committed to "hiring the best" internally and externally at the same time they are creating an inclusive environment which embraces and derives value from diversity. Finally, a leader at BASF must establish and support our safety culture in which all accidents are preventable.
Nearest Major Market: San Diego
Job Segment: Law, Manager, Compliance, Performance Management, Legal, Management, Human Resources