Scientist, Advanced Cleaning and Etching (Hillsboro, OR)
Job Field: REDE - Research & Development
Location: Portland, OR, US
Company: BASF Corporation
Job Type: Standard
Job ID: EN_US_1703622
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation. We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development. We are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America’s Best Employers in 2015. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens…
The Scientist, Advanced Cleaning and Etching will be part of the Electronic Materials team and will be based in Hillsboro, Oregon, supporting the overall success of the Dispersions & Resins business in North America.
At BASF Electronic Materials, we uphold a relentless passion to innovate the future of electronics with our customers by equipping them with the essential solutions and technologies to continuously succeed in the competitive electronics industry. BASF has been supplying electronic materials for more than 30 years. The experience we have earned and the chemical expertise we possess enables us to offer outstanding products and solutions to our customers. At BASF, we offer high purity and quality process chemicals and specialized solutions for semiconductors, flat panel displays, lighting such as LED as well as photovoltaics. With our team of passionate, dedicated experts from all facets of the industry fields working closely with our customers worldwide, we are steadfast in our philosophy to deliver the quality excellence, reliable services, and innovative solutions that exceed the highest standards.
Reporting to the Lab Manager, the scientist will be responsible for the management and conduction of R&D activities for the business area of Advanced Cleaning and Etching.
- Drive innovation effort to develop chemical formulations for precise cleaning and etching to fulfill customer requirements.
- Design and execute experiments to evaluate the performance of BASF commercial and R&D samples in customer applications.
- Participate in customer projects and meetings as a member of the global product development team.
- Communicate experimental results, observed trends and aggregated experience with customers, internal partners and management on a regular basis.
- Work closely with technical marketing team to discover unmet needs and help turn ideas into new product development projects/topics.
- Work within multidisciplinary project teams which include EH&S, Engineering, Procurement and Logistics to provide contributions to the Hillsboro site operation.
- Implement EH&S rule based on BASF guideline. Accept personal responsibility to act according to process safety regulations and company directives.
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You…
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
Ingredients for Success: What We Look for in You…
- Masters in chemistry or chemical engineering with 3+ years of industrial experience -OR- Ph.D. in chemistry or chemical engineering.
- Hands-on experience with semiconductor processing including cleaning, polishing, etching, photolithography and film deposition.
- Working knowledge on organic/inorganic/surface chemistry.
- Familiar with characterization tools such as Focused Ion Beam, Scanning Electron Microscope, Transmission Electron Microscope, elemental analysis, etc.
- Good interpersonal skills and an ability to effectively communicate detailed and precise technical requirements, procedures, and results in written and oral format.
- A team player who is self-motivated with a proactive attitude and a demonstrated commitment to continuous improvement.
- Ability to coordinate technical activities within a multi-disciplinary team and meet deadlines.
You may also have:
- Lab setup and equipment maintenance experience.
- Experience in product development and customer interaction.
- Knowledge and experience in chemical formulation.
- Experience working in a global team environment.
Nearest Major Market: Portland Oregon