Technical Account Manager-Pressure Sensitive Tapes
Job Field: SALE - Sales
Location: Southfield, MI, US
Company: BASF Corporation
Job Type: Standard
Job ID: EN_US_1704169
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment with a strong emphasis on process safety, as well as the safety of our employees and the communities we operate in, and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America’s Best Employers in 2017. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens…
The role involves the technical management of various direct and distribution accounts within the Printing, Packaging, and Adhesives North American customer base. This position is accountable for all technical issues arising in the support of new Pressure Sensitive Tapes business development, as well as maintaining existing Pressure Sensitive Tapes business.
The Pressure Sensitive Adhesive Tape Market Segment comprises adhesives for packaging tapes, masking tapes, office/consumer tapes and specialty tapes. The successful candidate will be supporting new product introductions, laboratory/customer trials, and establishing connections with customers’ technical and procurement contacts.
Responsibilities include collaborating with sales colleagues on account plans and customer visits and collaborating with Marketing, Product Management, and Technical Service colleagues to develop and present product value propositions.
This position constitutes the key technical relationship between BASF and its customers. The Technical Account Manager provides knowledge and advice regarding product selection, formulation/ technical service support, and application processing. S/he may be called upon to help resolve customer complaints and to provide guidance during the complaint investigation process.
The Technical Account Manager is tasked with providing the technical “voice of customer” into the BASF organization. The position provides input and ideas and target specifications for new product development, which may include interacting with other BASF Regional Business Unit (RBUs), Strategic Business Units (SBUs), and regions to support new product introductions into North America.
This position is field-based, and candidates ideally should live close to major airports in the U.S. This position is required to receive training at the Southfield site for up to six months to get familiar with the product lines and services BASF provides to serve the PSA industry.
Technical Account Manager – Pressure Sensitive Tapes (1704169) – Southfield, MI
Formula for Success: You Will…
- Collaborate with Sales Account Managers to achieve targets for sales revenue, volume, and profit through value-added activities, product approvals, and technical progression at the customer base.
- Work with marketing and laboratory staff to develop and present value propositions for specific targeted growth products.
- Provide technical advice and product recommendations across the customer base.
- Serve as a technical “voice of customer” into BASF.
- Support product introductions of new products, or products that are new to the customer, and establish technical approvals across the customer base.
- Provide technical input and data for target specifications for new products.
- Develop expert technical relationships with customers. Identify business trends in and beyond the customer scope/respective portfolio.
- Identify and attract new customers, pursue new applications, and interact with corresponding process and product developers of potential customers, leading to profitable future business.
- Draft call reports from all physical visits and from all significant customer interactions that outline future actions and responsibilities. These reports should continuously increase market intelligence and update customer and competitor data.
- Identify customer technical requirements and offer appropriate solutions.
- Understand customer’s product utility in end-use application as part of technical service responsibility
- Support the generation and implementation of account plans to achieve sales and profitability growth in line with BU strategies.
- Interface with Sales Account Managers and Application Specialists to address customer needs and technical problems to specify solutions and close sales opportunities.
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You…
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
Ingredients for Success: What We Look for in You…
- Bachelor’s degree required in Science or related discipline.
- At least 5 years of experience in a technical or sales role in a related industry. Expert knowledge of components used in PSA tape formulas, their performance profiles, and application requirements is preferred. This would include polymers, tackifiers, surfactants, other additives, and knowledge of release liner and different coating technologies used in the industry.
- Project management experience, with ability to lead and coordinate technical work among related functions (e.g., Applications Lab, R&D). The ability to collaborate and form effective teams with peers in associated functions reporting into different managers is essential.
- Ability to understand, develop, and communicate value propositions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including making effective presentations.
- Strong interpersonal skills to build strong customer and internal relationships.
- Competencies: Customer Focus, Teamworking, Communication and Interpersonal Understanding, and Entrepreneurial Action.
- Able to travel 50% of the time and have a valid driver’s license.
Nearest Major Market: Detroit
Job Segment: Manager, Customer Service, Management