New Business Development Manager - Water Treatment Chemicals
Job Field: MARK - Marketing
Location: Charlotte, NC, US
Company: BASF Corporation
Job Type: Standard
Job ID: EN_US_1703726
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
******Must live near a major airport.*****
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation. We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development. And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America’s Best Employers in 2017. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future! Where the Chemistry Happens… The New Business Development Manager is a member of the Sales organization, and is responsible for executing regional strategy and business plans aligned with global strategies and objectives. The position is accountable for growing revenues and profitability at the Market/Customer level, and proactively defining actions or initiatives to stimulate growth and enhance profits within the defined customer base. The New Business Development Manager will initiate and establish relationships with key accounts, and train and support Distributors to increase WTC sales. The role will lead the development and execution of a regional strategy for the Water Treatment Chemicals (WTC) platform across Service Providers, Distribution, Formulators, and Industrial segments. The position will be the region’s liaison for the global WTC initiative. This role will champion the development of aligned value propositions for each of the segments across the water treatment platform for complete water cycle needs. S/he will coordinate with Customers, Sales, Marketing, Product Management, Technical Service, Innovation Teams, Supply Chain, and other regional counterparts to reconfigure and reposition existing offering accordingly, with emphasis on customer value delivery while growing revenues and profitability. The New Business Development Manager will drive collaborative efforts around sustainable solutions development, ideation and innovation processes. The role will also be accountable for innovation and lead development of compelling and differentiated new product/program/service offerings for assigned business segments as well as developing, leading, and supporting cross-segment and cross-business unit initiatives to expand or refine offerings to meet new needs and challenges within the water treatment market. Maintaining a presence on the various Trade Associations for standards development (e.g. WEF – Water Environment Federation, AWWA – American Water Works Association, and AWT – Association of Water Technologies), manufacturing boards (APG – Acrylamide Producer’s Group), and others. This role will be critical in tracking significant changes in regulatory policy and industry trends, enabling the business to adapt strategically and to align innovation to the needs within our chosen markets. New Business Development Manager – Water Treatment Chemicals (1703726) – Charlotte, NC Formula for Success: You Will…
- New Business Development
- Establish relationships with and grow key WTC accounts.
- Train and support Distributors to pursue Tier 3 accounts across North America.
- Lead the assessment and prioritization of new business opportunities through business case analysis, including economic analysis, and value proposition development.
- Identify, develop, and present to management new market/business opportunities for BASF Water Chemicals with key stakeholders in the value chain (e.g., OEM’s, Water Service Companies, Key Customers, Regulatory Agencies, Venture Capital Organizations, Formulators).
- Monitor development of potential new markets.
- Analyze opportunities in the water treatment industry where there are new or unaddressed needs.
- Specify market requirements for current and future products or technologies by conducting market research supported through on-going visits to current or potential customers, university research programs, and technology-focused venture capital organizations.
- Marketing & Competitive Intelligence
- Take the lead for communicating BASF Water Chemicals’ offering to the water treatment market.
- Engage directly in the market place, establishing relationships with key industry players (e.g., Experts/Consultants, Academia, Key Customer Technical or Marketing Teams, Regulatory Agencies, Trade Associations, Downstream Value Chain Stakeholders).
- Ensure optimal cooperation with key functions such as Marketing, Technical Service, Research & Development, Product Management, Supply Chain, and Customer Care in delivering the value to the customer.
- Monitor and analyze competitor behavior, pricing structure, performance, strategy, and offering.
- Identify market threats, opportunities, trends, new entrants (product or competitor), and feedback to global and regional teams.
- Strategy Development & Execution
- Develop and execute regional strategy and business plans aligned with the global organization.
- Champion the development of the value proposition for the newly integrated WTC platform, maximizing the value delivered by Water Solutions to target customers and segments.
- Drive Regional Innovation
- Responsible for driving the innovation process for assigned areas. Seek and generate opportunities for innovation through products or technology, internal with Key Stakeholders, externally via research companies, environmental agencies, customers, and OEMs.
- Lead all project development activities for Water Solutions in the region.
- Develop and foster strong innovation partnerships or relationships with key stakeholders in the water treatment value chain. Build BASF’s reputation as a supplier and innovation partner in the Water Solutions industry.
- Liaise with Marketing, Global/Regional Product Management, Technical Service, Sales, and Innovation Team from concept to launch.
- Direct and Coordinate Sales and Promotional Marketing Activities
- Develop sales presentations, ensuring clarity and consistency of message, alignment with strategy, and business goals/objectives.
- Liaise with Customers, Sales, Technical Service, Product Management, and Marketing Communications to develop marketing literature (e.g., Advertising, Technical Data Sheets, Application & Test Case Studies, Product & Application Guides) and promotional opportunities (e.g. Tradeshows, Conferences, Exhibitions, Technology Papers, Advertorials, Trade Publications).
- Act as key contact for Water Chemicals business for trade publications focused on applications, customers, and industry trends.
- Ensure coordination of product launches, forecasting, tradeshow exhibition, and customer meetings across BASF business units.
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You… Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry. The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
Ingredients for Success: What We Look for in You…
- Bachelor’s degree required in Chemistry, Engineering, or a related technical field.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in water treatment applications, marketing, product support, and research and development.
- Relevant application or field experience required in industrial water treatment (e.g., cooling, boiler, process and wastewater). A technical background in antiscalant/deposit control, corrosion control, and surfactants required. Biocide experience is preferred.
- Sound market knowledge of Industrial Water Treatment– customers, products, competitors, channels-to-market, and innovation.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with ability to clearly and concisely communicate within disparate groups (internal and external), with varied levels of understanding and coming from different disciplines or focus.
- Questions the status quo, challenges current methodologies and practices.
- Ability to effectively manage conflict and anticipate future consequences and trends.
- Networking and teambuilding will be critical. Responsive, resourceful, and thorough with strong follow-through. Self-motivated, proactive, and results-orientated.
- Willingness to travel both nationally and internationally up to 50%
Nearest Major Market: Charlotte
Job Segment: Law, Manager, Venture Capital, Legal, Management, Finance, Customer Service