Manager, Technical and Project Engineering
Job Field: ENGI - Engineering & Technical Service
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Company: BASF Canada
Job Type: Standard
Job ID: EN_CA_1704021
You can be part of an inclusive team of diverse talent and character. In this diversity lies our greatest strength.
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment with a strong emphasis on process safety, as well as the safety of our employees and the communities we operate in, and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF Canada has been recognized as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for 2017, as well as one of Greater Toronto’s Top Employers for 2017.
Where the Chemistry Happens…
The Manager, Technical and Project Engineering is responsible for leading and managing Engineering services across Canada. This includes providing technical and project support to approximately 10 sites and various businesses across the country. In this role, the manager is expected to plan, lead, coordinate, and execute all resource requirements, internal and external, involved in the delivery of engineering support services and project execution. Additionally, s/he will serve as the conduit that enables knowledge and expertise of the Engineering & Maintenance organization in North America (NA) and Global to the Canadian sites as needed.
This position will be a key point of contact and a single solution provider to local Canadian businesses and a valuable contributor to the Canadian Engineering and Site Communities. Additionally, as part of the extended Finance and Services Group at BASF Canada, this role will work in close collaboration with the Asset Optimization Manager in identifying joint opportunities and improvements across the BASF Canada landscape.
Manager, Technical and Project Engineering (1704021) – Toronto, Ontario, CN
Formula for Success: You Will…
- Establish and lead Site Engineering Community across all sites in Canada, with the objective to align goals, opportunities, and sharing of best practices.
- Lead the Site Risk Reduction program in collaboration with the Site Managers Community, as well as the Asset Optimization Manager.
- Oversee and manage Capital Projects and Improvements, including overall project timeline and budget management, as well as alignment across key stakeholders.
- Conduct planning discussions with linked site personnel to coordinate work execution and expectations.
- Develop work management and execution strategies for the Canada Engineering team; lead activities to align with supported site expectations.
- Participate in or lead key value-add initiatives that have regional impact and are E&M led.
- Drive efficiency and effectiveness across functional group support to Central Gulf RSC sites, particularly EHS, Procurement, and Asset management.
- Drive talent development and management of Canada Engineering personnel.
- Directly supervise of two (or more) technical engineers within Canada.
- Display working knowledge of chemical process equipment including, but not limited to, rotating equipment/machinery, heat transfer, solids handling, storage tanks, vessels, and utilities systems (e.g., boilers, flares, waste treatment).
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You… Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry. The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career. Ingredients for Success: What We Look for in You…
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline, preferably Chemical or Mechanical Engineering; advanced degree is a plus.
- Registered Professional Engineering License is desirable.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience within an Engineering, Construction, Maintenance, and Process Improvement environment in a chemical or process plant environment.
- At least 5 years of proven managerial and leadership experience.
- Direct Capital Project Management, as well as Site Risk Evaluation experience, is highly desired.
- Cross-functional experience is considered an asset.
- A strong technical background in Chemical, Mechanical, Electrical or Civil Engineering to provide focused discipline support in their area of expertise.
- Up to 30% travel is expected, subject to business needs and changing environment.
Job Segment: Manager, Business Process, Management